Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Chef Steph's Chicken Enchiladas

I have only had enchiladas once before in my life and I loved them...when my mom ordered them at Margaritas a few weeks ago, i knew I had to learn how to make enchiladas. I think this is my favorite mexican dish. Tyler said it was one of the best meals I ever made him....after 3 years of cooking for him almost every night that was a huge compliment to me...So here's the recipe...enjoy!


INGREDIENTS:
2 yellow hungarian wax peppers
2 red chili peppers
1 purple pepper (may be substituted for 1 red pepper, i just didn't have any red ones off hand or I would have used one)
1 purple onion
1 vine tomato (2 if you prefer)
1/2 can black beans, drained
Flour tortillas
at least 1 LB or 3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 cup of sour cream
Enchilada sauce

1 bag of colby-jack shredded cheese

salsa is optional to top the enchiladas with

DIRECTIONS:
- The first thing you want to do is cook the chicken breasts until they are done and let them cool off.
-Cut the peppers vertically in half or in thirds and de-seed them. After you've removed all of the seeds chop the peppers into small pieces, along with the purple onion.
-Put the onions and peppers into a frying pan with 2 tbsp of melted butter and fry them for 5-7 minutes on medium-low heat.(While these are cooking it is a good time to shred up the chicken breasts that you cooke and to dice the tomato)
-Once the chicken is shredded and the vegetables are grilled combine the chicken with the peppers,onions,and tomato.
-Mix 1/2 of the bottle of enchilada sauce and 1/2 can of black beans in with the chicken and vegetables and mix well.
-Lay out the tortilla and put 1 cup of the mixture in the center of it, fold ends and wrap. Place enchilada seam side down in casserole dish. Repeat until you are out of mix. For me it made 5 large enchiladas.
-Mix 1 cup of sour cream with remaining enchilada sauce and spread over the top of the enchiladas.
-Cover enchiladas with shredded cheese ( I love cheese so I used the entire bag)
-Cook at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with more sour cream and salsa if desired

I'm still stuck using my camera phone so the pictures aren't the best quality.




2 comments:

  1. damn chefsteph
    You gotta make that 4 me gurl!!!
    I love U! and I love ur recipes.. I mite hafta make it if I can ever afford more than ramen noodles lmao!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remarkable article, it is particularly useful! I quietly began in this, and I'm becoming more acquainted with it better! Delights, keep doing more and extra impressive! Nectar of Life Coffee

    ReplyDelete